Summary of Qualifications
• 12+ years of visual and digital design experience for world-class editorial and art brands.
• Led award winning design and UX teams. Developed and streamlined workflow while cultivating strong relationships between departments.
• Portfolio includes original website design and art direction, responsive design for mobile and tablet, iPhone and iPad apps, advertising, branding and print material.
• Work that evolves a brand, increases usability and improves online response.
• Expert knowledge of graphic design, typography, user experience, information architecture, user interface patterns and industry trends.
Alicia Brooks Design
Now taking on new projects!
Visual Designer, User Experience Designer & Consultant // Brooklyn, NY
Digital Design Consultant // New York, NY December 2016–September 2017
Director of Design and User Experience // New York, NY January 2016–October 2016
• Direct the conceptual, stylistic direction and user experience of the SoulCycle brand online.
Bon Appétit Magazine
Digital Art Director // New York, NY February 2014–January 2016
• Define and lead the user experience and digital design direction of Bon Appétit.
• Responsible for bringing the Bon Appétit voice to life in redesign and ensuring brand consistency across all online communications.
• Build team, manage projects and define goals for Designers and external creative resources.
• Create and develop new products by assessing market competition, weighing strategic and business goals, performing user testing and evaluating analytics.
• Site awarded 2 silver SPDs as Best Redesign and Website of the Year for 2015.
New York Magazine
Senior Interaction Designer // New York, NY 2011–February 2014
• Conceive and execute complete redesign of New York’s digital fashion destination, The Cut, expanding it to a fully responsive online fashion magazine.
• Work with the Creative Director to develop the branding, visual tone, look and feel of The Cut, subsequently winning an SPD Gold Metal in Web Design with 179% increase in views.
• Redesign the homepage of New York’s entertainment vertical, Vulture.com.
• Present ideas and collaborate with photo department, user experience designers, product owners, engineers and editors to create successful design strategies and solutions.
• Define and develop innovative new features utilizing web trends, analytics and best practices.
• Handle multiple daily projects for the magazine in a fast-paced, agile environment.
• Troubleshoot design issues in HTML and CSS.
Senior Web Designer // New York, NY 2006–2011
• Determined the design and visual presentation of Christies.com.
• Approved all design material for the site.
• Improved and innovated on visual content and usability as part of site redesign and business strategy. Spearheaded redesign of the homepage.
• Team initiatives resulted in 70% increase of online response 2009–2011.
• Managed a team of producers and freelance designers to complete workflow.
• Developed new web experiences from conception to completion, some examples include: Christie’s homepage redesign, dynamic interface for slideshow view, blog for Yves Saint Laurent sale, subsite for the Elizabeth Taylor Sale and Christie’s iPhone app (receiving
major media coverage).
Midnight Kitchen Media
Partner // Brooklyn, NY 2005–2007
• Developed design collective and multi-media event planning team.
• Created strategy and vision to evolve brands by assessing client values, history and business goals.
• Designed and created websites, print material, album covers, logos and textile illustrations.
• Clients included: Le Tigre USA, charity: water, Duffy fashion line, JLM Public Relations representing Russell Simmons, Ray Gehring Jazz Trio, Business Outreach Center.
Design and Layout Production Assistant // White Plains, NY 2004–2006
• Assistant managed the Design and Layout Departments on animated feature films: Ice Age 2, Robots and Horton Hears a Who.
• Created schedule, liased between departments and managed workflow.
New London, CT // BA 2003
Major: Art, Graphic Design
Minor: Architectural Studies
Florence, Italy // Fall Semester, 2001
Courses in Fashion and Design
New York, NY // 2007–2008
Web Design: Flash I, II
O’Reilly School of Technology
Online // 2012
Certification in HTML, CSS
2015 SPD: Best Redesign Bon Appétit (silver)
2015 SPD: Website of the Year Bon Appétit (silver)
2013 SPD: Best Web Design The Cut (gold)
An Event Apart: Boston