Summary of Qualifications
• 14+ years of visual and digital design experience for world-class editorial and art brands.
• Led award winning design and UX teams; Developed and streamlined workflow while cultivating strong relationships between departments.
• Portfolio includes original website design and art direction, responsive design for mobile and tablet, iPhone and iPad apps, advertising, branding and print material.
• Work that evolves a brand, increases usability and improves online response.
• Expert knowledge of graphic design, typography, user experience, information architecture, user interface patterns and industry trends.
Visual Designer // New York, NY June 2018–Current
ALICIA BROOKS DESIGN
Digital Design Consultant // New York, NY December 2016–June 2018
• Freelance web design, user experience design and corporate consultation.
• Now taking on new projects.
Digital Design Consultant // New York, NY December 2016–September 2017
• Collaborate on large-scale responsive web redesign for Real Simple, Time, Food & Wine, Essence, Fortune, InStyle, MyRecipes, Cooking Light, Southern Living, Sunset, Travel + Leisure, Money, Health.
• Communicate with Visual Designers, UX Designers, Product Managers, Developers and Editors in order to form design strategies that achieve user’s needs, business and advertising goals.
• Deliver visual design specifications, UX documentation and work with Front-End Developers on code for quality assurance.
• Develop a style guide for each of the brands to provide reference, ease communication for large teams and ensure a cohesive look and feel.
• Create a living Design System that documents UX/UI decisions in order to provide a stable code base, secure web standards and deliver faster, cleaner pages.
• Implement layouts with Atomic Design methodology to future-proof sites by promoting consistency and scalability.
Director of Design and User Experience // New York, NY January 2016–October 2016
• Direct the conceptual, stylistic direction and user experience of the SoulCycle brand online.
• Deliver, review and critique the designs of a multi-skilled team to ensure effective and rich solutions with great interaction, visual styling, consistent and appropriate use of voice and tone.
• Some projects include: ecommerce redesign, SoulCycle booking app, registration flow for marketing campaigns and user facing data visualization of customer behavior.
• Develop an iterative workflow to promote collaboration, improve efficiency and improve products.
BON APPÉTIT MAGAZINE
Digital Art Director // New York, NY February 2014–January 2016
• Define and lead the user experience and digital design direction of Bon Appétit.
• Responsible for bringing the Bon Appétit voice to life in redesign and ensuring brand consistency across all online communications.
• Build team, manage projects and define goals for Designers and external creative resources.
• Create and develop new products by assessing market competition, weighing strategic and business goals, performing user testing and evaluating analytics.
• Site awarded 2 silver SPDs as Best Redesign and Website of the Year for 2015.
NEW YORK MAGAZINE
Senior Interaction Designer // New York, NY 2011–February 2014
• Conceive and execute complete redesign of New York’s digital fashion destination, The Cut, expanding it to a fully responsive online fashion magazine.
• Work with the Creative Director to develop the branding, visual tone, look and feel of The Cut, subsequently winning an SPD Gold Metal in Web Design with 179% increase in views.
• Redesign the homepage of New York’s entertainment vertical, Vulture.com.
• Present ideas and collaborate with Photo Department, Product Owners, Engineers and Editors to create successful design strategies and solutions.
• Define and develop innovative new features utilizing web trends, analytics and best practices.
• Handle multiple daily projects for the magazine in a fast-paced, agile environment.
• Troubleshoot design issues in HTML and CSS.
Senior Web Designer // New York, NY 2006–2011
• Determine the design and visual presentation of Christies.com.
• Approve all design material for the site.
• Improve and innovate on visual content and usability as part of site redesign and business strategy. Spearhead redesign of the homepage.
• Team initiatives result in 70% increase of online response.
• Manage a team of producers and freelance designers to complete workflow.
• Develop new web experiences from conception to completion, some examples include: Christie’s homepage redesign, dynamic interface for slideshow view, blog for Yves Saint Laurent sale, subsite for the Elizabeth Taylor Sale and Christie’s iPhone app.
MIDNIGHT KITCHEN MEDIA
Partner // Brooklyn, NY 2005–2007
• Developed design collective and multi-media event planning team.
• Created strategy and vision to evolve brands by assessing client values, history and business goals.
• Designed and created websites, print material, album covers, logos and textile illustrations.
• Clients included: Le Tigre USA, charity: water, Duffy fashion line, JLM Public Relations representing Russell Simmons, Ray Gehring Jazz Trio, Business Outreach Center.
Design and Layout Production Assistant // White Plains, NY 2004–2006
• Assistant managed the Design and Layout Departments on animated feature films: Ice Age 2, Robots and Horton Hears a Who.
• Created schedule, liased between departments and managed workflow.
Best Redesign: Bon Appétit
SPD 2015: Silver
Website of the Year: Bon Appétit
SPD 2015: Silver
Best Web Design: The Cut
SPD 2013: Gold
New London, CT // BA 2003
Major: Art, Graphic Design
Florence, Italy // Fall Semester, 2001
Courses in Fashion and Design
New York, NY // 2007–2008
Web Design: Flash I, II
O’Reilly School of Technology
Online // 2012
Certification in HTML, CSS
An Event Apart: Boston